|DON GILLER'S VIDEOS|
|My pal Don Giller, the world's #1 Letterman fan, with his colossal Letterman database and video collection, is constantly adding to his Letterman YouTube channel, now with over 28,000,000 views. |
Click below, or else!
|The Donz on Twitter|
|LAST DAYS OF LETTERMAN|
|Scott Ryan has interviewed 20+ LSDL staffers for his new book. (order) (Facebook)|
Look back at Dave's 33 years. Visit @ByeLetterman, and for great interviews, visit tumblr.
|MIKE McINTEE: WAHOOTWO|
|Keep up with Late Show producer Mike McIntee via his new blog, WAHOOTWO, the sequel to the Wahoo Gazette.|
|MY NEXT GUEST|
NEEDS NO INTRODUCTION,
WITH DAVID LETTERMAN
the final TTL
|GUESTS UPDATED 5/15/15 @ 1309 CT|
|CBS LATE SHOW SITE — CLICK ANY CATEGORY.|
|A FEW WORDS FROM DDY|
- November 8, 2018: Go see Al Chez and The Brothers of Funk Big Band in Stanhope, New Jersey on November 24. (event link) (Facebook) (alchez.com)
- November 5, 2018: The Last Days of Letterman is still on the agenda here. Today author Scott Ryan and Bill Scheft joined Alison Stewart on WNYC's All of It. Listen here for the interview, which begins at 19:14 into the program.
- November 4, 2018: We're all agreed that it's not Christmas, but there's no bad time to take a look back at Jay Thomas telling his annual Christmas Story (his encounter with the Lone Ranger).
- November 4, 2018: I've been plugging The Last Days of Letterman here for months. Here's a must-see article by Brian Welk of thewrap.com: David Letterman's Final Episodes of 'The Late Show': 5 Surprising Behind-the-Scenes Stories.
- October 25, 2018: I first plugged this project from Chris Elliott's family here in January 2017. Bridey Elliott had written Clara's Ghost, and had a Kickstarter campaign, for the movie filmed or recorded in the Elliott's house. Now it's finished, and there's a trailer!
- October 24, 2018: Here, from Philadelphia, is the latest review of Steve Young's Bathtubs over Broadway. I found out a few days ago that I'd missed a screening in Wichita a day earlier. It would have been a 2¼-hour trip. You, on the other hand, can avoid a mishap like mine by keeping up with the film's screenings page.
- October 19, 2018: Paul Shaffer was a contestant on Celebrity Millionaire today. I haven't found video yet.
- October 18, 2018: Comedian Brian Regan joined Dan Patrick, discussing his career, working with Seinfeld and Letterman, etc. (YouTube) Brian did stand-up on the Late Show 28 times (not counting being bumped two or three times). His comments about making Dave laugh start around 07:00.
- October 16, 2018: Back to the previous entry... I Googled "Midnight and the Kitties Are Sleeping," and came up with some fun Letterman references. (The search claims About 1,460,000 results!)
- October 16, 2018: Here's a fun site to check out: David Letterman Quotes, from picturequotes.com. With some of the quotes, you'll say, "Oh, of course." With others, you may wonder if Dave ever said it. Some of obviously from monologues, others are desk chat staples, and many look like they came from interviews. Note that there are currently 13 pages' worth of picture quotes. So now you know!
- October 7, 2018: Currently with 635 tweets, it's Biff Henderson Memes @BiffMemes. I have no idea who's behind this Twitter account, but it's an awesome look back at Biff's remotes and other segments. Biff was with Dave from the beginning... The David Letterman Show, in 1980.
- October 7, 2018: Hey! While plugging the video below, I ran across Don Giller's YouTube video of Late Show with David Letterman #0001. It includes preview and post-show coverage from WCBS-TV.
- October 6, 2018: Merrill Markoe, Dave's girlfriend in the early years of Late Night, was widely credited with the offbeat take on the world that helped Dave to such success early on. Don Giller, whose YouTube channel is linked in the left-side navigation column, just posted this compilation of Merrill's four slightly cringey visits on Dave's shows, as his ex-girlfriend, between 1994 and 1998.
- September 25, 2018: We've known that Dave likes cars, but he never talked specifically about them on-air. Here's a photo gallery: David Letterman's Car Collection Will Take Your Breath Away.
- September 23, 2018: Scott Ryan, author of the newly-released The Last Days of Letterman (Amazon), is doing a reading and book signing in Dallas on Sunday, Nov. 18, from 1:00 - 2:00 P at Interabang Books, 10720 Preston Rd. (Google Map) (Facebook event) Be there, or else!
- September 20, 2018: A Blu-ray version of Cabin Boy is out. It includes an hour-long interview with Chris Elliott and Adam Resnick, the director. He was a writer for the Late Show from 1986 to 1992. There's Dave content in the interview, because both of these gents wrote for him, and also because Dave was the old coot trying to sell monkeys.
- September 18, 2018: Our old friend Jack Hanna was at the Columbus Zoo on the occasion of his 40-year association there. (article and video)
- September 6, 2018: David Letterman Makes Surprise Appearance at Paul Shaffer's Vegas Show / Paul had hinted earlier in the week that Dave would appear. (The Hollywood Reporter) Have a look at this Facebook post from Paul, and a little feature and photo gallery from vegasnews.com.
- September 4, 2018: It's back to Cleopatra's Barge at Caesar's Palace for Paul Shaffer and the Shaf-Shifters! Dates are Sept. 6 - 8, Oct. 11 - 13 and Nov. 29 to Dec. 1. Here are the details from the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
- August 30, 2018: Parade has posted a nice collection, 25 Funny David Letterman Quotes for the Late Show's 25th Anniversary. I don't remember all of them, but this is a fun look back.
- August 28, 2018: Dave was interviewed about Habitat for Humanity. You can hear it on the CBS This Morning Podcast.
- August 27, 2018: Here's Dave commenting on his
involvement with Habitat for Humanity, from a work site in Mishawaka, Indiana, and a related Instagram post. Also, have a look at this article, "Letterman and Carters Launch Habitat for Humanity Project at Notre
- August 26, 2018: Don Giller has done it again! The ultimate Letterman historian has assembled 1 hr. 51 min. of clips, promoting Late Show with David Letterman, and its first episode on August 30, 1993. As we know now, Dave would spend almost 22 years on CBS, wrapping on May 20, 2015. Here's your YouTube link.
- August 26, 2018: Visit YouTube to see #1 Dave fan Don Giller's compilation, Flunky the Clown Collection on Late Night. You'll feel a lot better about yourself after 38:13 with Flunky. (link)
- August 22, 2018: This is fun news! Norm Macdonald has a new show coming up. Here's a promo on YouTube. It's coming to Netflix on Sept. 14.
- August 22, 2018: Pat Farmer retired from the Late Show in July, after about 25 years in the Ed Sullivan Theater. In honor of Pat, and thanks, of course, to #1 Letterman fan Don Giller, here links to Pat's epic appearances. Pat Farmer's Retirement Party, August 2, 2018 ••• Late Show Highlights, 1994-2000 ••• Late Show Highlights, 2001-15 ••• Pat and Kenny Read Oprah Transcripts
Then there's this surprise: At the end of Pat's run with the Late Show, Stephen Colbert surprised him at the end of the show by taping his goodbye to him, and by reading a tribute from David Letterman. Here's your link.
- August 21, 2018: The Last Days of Letterman is available for pre-orders, and there's a preview in the latest issue of Emmy magazine. Author Scott Ryan interviewed former Letterman writers for Top This! Writing the 10 most-laughed-at lines in late night — more than 6,000 times — was no easy task. Writers recall the process of submitting entries (and scrambling when Dave called for a change).
- August 20, 2018: Our pal Paul Shaffer sat in on an entire episode of Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast. Richard Belzer is the featured guest for this 01:13:00 offering. You can listen or download right here! There are numerous interesting topics, but all you need to know is Paul Shaffer is there.
- August 14, 2018: Steve Young's still gettin' it done! He spent 41 minutes with Alec Baldwin on his Here's the Thing podcast, promoting Bathtubs over Broadway. (link) Look for the audio download link on the page. This is really good stuff!
- August 13, 2018: From late 2011 into 2013, LSDL spoofed talks shows with promos for its very close cousin, The Weekend Late Show, hosted by Bruce and Linda (Roger Michelson and Anne Carney). Our friend Don Giller has compiled all 42 of them into one, right here on YouTube.
- August 4, 2018: I haven't promoted Scott Ryan's upcoming book, The Last Days of Letterman, here in a while. (I ordered mine in April.) Get yours from the Fayetteville Mafia Press right here.
- August 2, 2018: Bill Scheft Returns is a sequel to an appearance on The Carson Podcast. Hear the details on Johnny sending in jokes to Letterman, talking to Johnny about writer Nick Arnold, and the backstory of Bill Hicks' 1993 Letterman appearance being edited out and replaced with Scheft's standup.
- July 14, 2018: David Perrico is Paul Shaffer's Go-to Man in Las Vegas is an update on Paul's upcoming return to Las Vegas with the Shaf-Shifters. (link)
- July 2, 2018: Steve Young's Bathtubs Over Broadway is headed to the Hamptons, and The SummerDocs Series, July 21, 2018.
- July 2, 2018: Steve Young's Bathtubs Over Broadway is headed to the Traverse City Film Festival, July 31 - August 5, 2018! You can download the program guide. As they said in the WWF, "Be a part of it... when it comes... to your area!"
- June 18, 2018: Paul Leslie has interviewed Michael Bonfiglio, an Emmy-nominated director, producer and writer. Michael has directed My Next Guest Needs No Introduction. He wanted the Netflix show to be about Dave, and what he wants to talk about. A considerable part of the 51:44 interview is focused on Dave's show. (link) All of Paul's Letterman-related interviews can be found in the navigation column of this page. Be sure to have a listen!
- June 14, 2018: Robert Morty Bob Morton was the guest today on The Carson Podcast with Mark Malkoff. It runs 01:42:35, and it has great stuff! Here's your download link!
- May 23, 2018: Dave paid a visit to Late Night with Seth Meyers today. Clips: (childbirth) (forgets he has a beard) (giving Seth a tick)
- May 19, 2018: Letterman superfan Don Giller has added a blockbuster to his YouTube channel, Countdown to the Final Late Show, May 17-21, 2015. It runs almost 2½ hours, and has all kinds of good stuff. Be sure to have a look!
- May 18, 2018: Today George Stroumboulopoulos published an interview with Paul Shaffer for The Strombo Show. Paul gets into great detail about his background in music, in this 38-minute audio interview on YouTube. I have so much appreciation for Paul's talent! In this interview, as usual, he's extremely forthcoming, and he has one great story after another.
- May 17, 2018: The Tom Gulley Show welcomed guest Scott Ryan today. As is well-documented here, he's the author of the forthcoming The Last Days of Letterman.
- May 17, 2018: I didn't know The Paul Leslie Hour was after the author of Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night, Jason Zinoman, but he got him! (audio link) I've just finished listening to this interview. I've complimented Paul often on his interviews. A number of times during this 51-minute visit with Zinoman, I thought to myself, "What a great question! I want to listen to this several times, to take it all in." Don't miss this!
- May 15, 2018: David Letterman to visit Late Night with Seth Meyers on May 23. How's that for breaking news!? Here's the report from deadline.com.
- May 14, 2018: WISH-TV
interviewed Graham Rahal, focusing for while on his recent chance to visit with Mr. David Letterman.
- May 13, 2018: Here's another reminder to pre-order The Last Days of Letterman before it's published. If you procrastinate too long, you won't be able to pre-order, because it's published, and you'll have to buy it like regular people. Stop messing around! Here's the book's Facebook page.
- May 12, 2018: Indycar.com has a nice story on Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing along with sponsor United Rentals, continuing support of Turns for Troops.
- May 8, 2018: Letterman Loves Michelle Wolf is the title of a story from Vanity Fair, posted online today, which also reports Dave's statement that he wishes he'd left the Late Show years ago.
- May 8, 2018: David Letterman says he wishes he'd quit Late Show a decade ago is the title of a story posted today by avclub.com. Apparently this sentiment was expressed during Dave's recent visit with Jerry Seinfeld.
- May 4, 2018: Pollstar's Ron Camacho has just posted a nice interview with TV's Paul Shaffer. It focuses on his Canadian background, and his current projects.
- May 2, 2018: Ball State University got a visit from Netflix's own David Letterman today. He came to speak to a class about displaying Late Show artifacts, which he's donated to the university. (Indy Star-Press) (TheIndyChannel) (TheIndyChannel video) (Ball State Daily) (YouTube)
- May 2, 2018: Along with the above, here's What's next for Ball State's Letterman collection?, from the Ball State Daily on 8/17/17.
- April 30, 2018: From Rolling Stone, see Tina Fey teach David Letterman how to improv. "Whatever I say, you add to it," she says. (link)
- April 30, 2018: Today flavorwire.com posted a review of the Tribeca Film Festival's documentaries, and Steve Young's Bathtubs Over Broadway got Best of the Best! Author Jason Bailey wrote, "Young's fascination and enthusiasm is infectious," and "What a delightful movie this is." (link)
- April 26, 2018: Netflix has announced that David Letterman will interview Jerry Seinfeld live on May 7 for My Next Guest Needs No Introduction, as reported by Variety. Seinfeld has moved Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee to Netflix. By the way, Dave's series' title is three characters longer than Seinfeld's!
- April 24, 2018: Today Steve Martin tweeted a reminder about the big Netflix special with Martin Short on May 25 , An Evening You Will Forget for the Rest of Your Life. Be a part of it when it comes to your area!
- April 23, 2018: Attention Lyle the Intern fans: Have a look at 5 Things You Should Know About Westworld Star Jimmi Simpson.
- April 23, 2018: Late Show warm-up comedian Eddie Brill was a guest on The Night Show Maine. All I have for you is this short clip. (YouTube)
- April 21, 2018: A great time was had as some of my friends, including Steve Young, got together at the Tribeca Film Festival for a screening of Steve's Bathtubs Over Broadway this weekend. Have a look at this five-star review! You can find other links in the left-side navigation bar. Look for Bathtubs Over Broadway and Everything's Coming Up Profits. Front and center in the photo below are my Letterman friends, Marilyn Sargent and Cheryl Levenbrown.
Bathtubs Over Broadway resulted from Steve Young's fascination with industrial musicals, which were created by corporations from the 50s to the 80s to promote their products or services. Steve discovered this genre while frequenting record stores when he wrote for the Letterman shows, and went searching for offbeat records for Dave's Record Collection segments. Before this new film came Steve's book, Everything's Coming Up Profits: The Golden Age of Industrial Musicals. (Amazon)
- April 18, 2018: I learned of this one today: 42 Surprising Facts About David Letterman. A top fan like you already knows most of this material, but it's fun to review.
- April 14, 2018: Last night, Jason Zinoman and Merrill Markoe appeared in Brooklyn at Books Are Magic, as Jason's book, Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night, is coming out in paperback. The format was Jason interviewing Merrill. Yes, the great Don Giller captured this for YouTube.
- April 11, 2018: The amazing Martin Short appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert today, and he was hilarious, as always. I haven't watched Colbert since 2015, but this was a very enjoyable segment! Colbert called him the best talk show guest of all time! Marty was plugging An Evening You Will Forget for the Rest of Your Life, with Steve Martin. I saw Martin and Martin in Kansas City a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it tremendously. (YouTube)
- April 6, 2018: In this, the 20th year of the Fab Faux Beatles tribute band, the great Will Lee and company are keeping busy. You can subscribe to his newsletter for the latest on tours and events. Also, here are links to Will's Facebook page, Twitter account and YouTube.
Dave Grohl with Uncle Will
- April 3, 2018: Where have I been hiding? I just found this tweet from LastDaysOf Letterman. Scott Ryan has finished a book about the final stretch of Late Show with David Letterman, beginning with Dave's unexpected gathering of staff on the afternoon of 4/03/14 to notify them. Viewers learned of this quickly via the Internet, and Dave confirmed it that evening, on show 4010. Expect a September 2018 release. (video) Finally, guess what song Paul Shaffer picked to play to commercial after Dave's big announcement. That's right... Steely Dan's Reelin' in the Years! (order link)
- March 31, 2018: Longtime Letterman writer Steve Young just sent word to his Letterman fan friends that Bathtubs Over Broadway, an 87-minute documentary he's in, will premiere on April 21, and tickets are selling out. The documentary is about Steve's fascination with industrial musicals, created from the 50s to the 80s, which resulted in his book, Everything's Coming Up Profits. (Facebook) (tickets)
- March 31, 2018: I'm not sure about the details, but my friend Rupert Jee is obviously in this ad seen in a NYC subway stop. It was posted by NYC Media. Naturally, Rupert included his New York Jets! He may turn up in one of their podcasts. Keep an eye on their web page. / Look! I found a video!
- March 20, 2018: Long, long ago... April 12, 1995... Drew Barrymore did that desktop dance for Dave that ended with a birthday flash for Dave. She doesn't regret it, she told Stephen Colbert today, according to articles in the Calgary Sun, People Weekly and E! Online.
- March 18, 2018: Thanks to the world's #1 Letterman fan, Don Giller, for compiling these performances of Henry Mancini's Viewer Mail theme song. Paul Shaffer brought in various performers from 1988-89. They're all in one handy YouTube video!
- March 16, 2018: From 48 Hours on April 13, 1995, it's Aaron Barnhart demonstrating the earliest version of alt.fan.letterman. (YouTube) Thanks for the video go to the world's #1 Letterman fan, Don Giller!
- March 16, 2018: I don't think I've ever seen this before: alt.fan.letterman Frequently Asked Questions, Part 1. It was started by Aaron Barnhart, back in 1996! Be sure to have a look!
- March 13, 2018: Here's a YouTube review of the editing in My Next Guest Needs No Introduction, presented by Thomas Flight. His point is there are too many cuts... that the editing becomes too noticeable. I don't feel strongly about this one way or another, but I think it's interesting. Mr. Flight seems to use Jerry Foley's directing on the Late Show as the gold standard.
- March 13, 2018: On Friday, April 13 at 8:30 p.m. ET, Jason Zinoman, author of Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night, will visit with Merrill Markoe in Brooklyn, at 225 Smith St. Here's the announcement from Facebook.
- March 9, 2018: Norm Macdonald has a new Netflix show, reports The Hollywood Reporter. At this time, 10 episodes are planned.
- March 8, 2018: Here's a must-read from The New Yorker: Is Martin Short the Greatest Talk-Show Guest of All Time? Author Ian Crouch describes the considerable effort Martin puts into preparation, and collaboration with the show's producers. Of course, in the case of David Letterman in recent years, Martin and the writers would often come up with a new, showbiz satire of a song. For examples, click here. (If the link doesn't work for your browser, go to my Video Archives, and look for Martin under the Ms.)
- March 8, 2018: Bathtubs Over Broadway is a film about to be presented at the Tribeca Film Festival. Steve Young, while working on "Dave's Record Collection" segments, discovered the world of industrial musicals, which led to his 2013 book, Everything's Coming Up Profits: The Golden Age of Industrial Musicals. (Tribeca Film Festival Guide)
- March 7, 2018: I'm late to the game here, but here's a plug for Bill Murray & Brian Doyle-Murray's Extra Innings. According to Bill's page on IMDB, the show has Bill and Brian traveling across the U.S., visiting minor league baseball teams. As of now, there are 10 episodes. Watch it on Facebook. It's produced by Victoria Lily Shaffer and Dub Cornett. Learn all about the background of the show via my friend Paul Leslie's interview with Victoria and Dub, as part of The Paul Leslie Hour. Finally, TV's Paul Shaffer wrote the theme song!
- March 6, 2018: Paul Shaffer has a new show! Today he announced on Facebook: "I have a new show on SiriusXM Radio, where I'll be sitting down with legendary musicians and talking/playing through their careers. Stay tuned to find out who will be on episode 1, and comment with your guesses below! It will air on Deep Tracks and on Classic Vinyl."
On Deep Tracks:
Fri., Mar. 16 @ 5 pm ET Sat., Mar. 17 @ 10 am ET Sun., Mar. 18 @ 10 pm ET
On Classic Vinyl:
Wed., Mar. 21 @ 6 am ET Thu,, Mar. 22 @ 2 pm ET Fri., Mar. 23 @ 7 pm ET
- February 26, 2018: Martin Short is a great friend of Dave and Paul, and I always looked forward to his visits. Now I highly recommend a visit to vulture.com for In Conversation: Martin Short. Author David Marchese has an in-depth and fascinating interview with Martin, and his philosophy on comedy.
- February 21, 2018: Up next on My Next Guest... is 20-year-old Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai. The episode will "air" on March 9. Glamour has an introduction to Malala here. Dave will also visit with Malala's father.
- February 20, 2018: Students from Ball State University interviewed Dave in New York. Here's the story in the Indianapolis Star-Press.
- February 14, 2018: The CBSO's own Felicia Collins is playing The Cutting Room in New York on March 9. It's at 44 E. 32nd St. It's billed as Felicia Collins' Birthday Celebration: Dance MF Dance. (details) She's so great on vocals, as well as guitar! My research shows that her actual birthday is on April 10.
- February 13, 2018: Jen Chaney has an in-depth review, David Letterman's Netflix Show Reminds Us of the Value of the Talk-Show Interview, on vulture.com. It's thoughtful and well-done.
- February 13, 2018: Rob Sheffield of the Rolling Stone reviews My Next Guest Needs No Introduction as vintage "cranky Dave." (link)
- February 9, 2018: Paul Shaffer dropped by The Beat with Ari Melber on MSNBC today. Unsurprisingly, Ari wanted to talk about Obama, but it's always good to hear from Paul! (link)
- February 9, 2018: Dave gives George Clooney a hard time for not giving a tip at In-N-Out. (etonline story) (YouTube)
- February 3, 2018: Billboard caught up with Paul Shaffer, who tells about writing the theme song for My Next Guest Needs No Introduction. (article) (YouTube)
- February 3, 2018: Hey... the Netflix thing isn't burning up much of your time. March yourself over to Gerard Mulligan Fan on YouTube, for a look back at
Gerard's characters, and fun with Chris Elliott. I counted about 64 classic videos.
- January 31, 2018: In the latest installment of My Next Guest Needs No Introduction, George Clooney recalls the day he met Amal, which by chance was chaperoned by his parents. (W Magazine) (YouTube)
- January 25, 2018: American treasure Chris Elliott has a Super Bowl ad, Avocados from Mexico. (YouTube) Be sure to find a half minute to catch up with Chris.
- January 22, 2018: David Letterman Drops by Edwards Air Force Base is a post from the USAF with a few photos.
- January 12, 2018: On this premiere day for My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman, I've run across some kind of mysterious Facebook pages, including NewDavidLetterman.
- January 5, 2018: MY NEXT GUEST NEEDS NO INTRODUCTION, WITH DAVID LETTERMAN is the name of the long-awaited Netflix show, which premieres on Jan. 12. Here's the announcement from Netflix. Barack Obama, George Clooney and Malala Yousafzai are booked. Here's a brief trailer. Upcoming guests include Tina Fey and Jay-Z. Visit my Articles page for much more coverage.
- January 5, 2018: From the Las Vegas Review-Journal, here's a noteworthy recap, Paul Shaffer Prepares to Disembark from Cleopatra's Barge.
A Few Words from DDY – Past Years
DDY's Headlines and News, 2000 - 2014
|Kathleen Ankers' amazing Late Show set, by DDY, May 22, 2010|
|Kathleen Ankers' amazing Late Show set, by DDY, May 22, 2010|
|DaveCon 2010: My friends and I hung around onstage after the taping, visiting with band members and staff.
||DaveCon 2009: with Rupert Jee in Hello Deli
|with Calvert DeForest in the Little Apple
Manhattan, Kansas – October 1992
||Dr. Rod Fernandez, Bill Lehecka and Micah White
scored Dave's ties on-air on May 16, 2009.
This site was created in June, 1996. Objects on monitor may be funnier than they appear. Use while operating heavy machinery, if your liability insurance is paid. All animals harmed in the creation of this site were given decent burials. No kitties, monkeys or squirrels have been harmed. They are our friends.
I receive no income from products or businesses shown on this site.
David Yoder, Esq. All rights reserved. All wrongs denied.